Nobody owns the Bitcoin network much like no one owns the technology behind email. Bitcoin is controlled by all Bitcoin users around the world. While developers are improving the software, they can't force a change in the Bitcoin protocol because all users are free to choose what software and version they use. In order to stay compatible with each other, all users need to use software complying with the same rules. Bitcoin can only work correctly with a complete consensus among all users. Therefore, all users and developers have a strong incentive to protect this consensus.
Articles in this section
- What is Bitcoin?
- Why do people trust Bitcoin?
- Who created Bitcoin?
- Who controls the Bitcoin network?
- How does Bitcoin work?
- Is Bitcoin really used by people?
- What are the advantages of Bitcoin?
- What happens when bitcoins are lost?
- Is Bitcoin anonymous?
- Is Bitcoin fully virtual and immaterial?